Home > Student Resources > Financial Aid > Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

South Piedmont Community College is proud to offer various types of financial aid to its students. Please click on the following links for additional information about each:

Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant (FPELL)
Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

State Aid

North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG)
North Carolina Community College Child Care Assistance (NCCHD)
North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS)
Less than Half-Time Funds (NCLTHT)


Forgivable Education Loans for Service (FELS)

Other Aid

Vocational Rehabilitation
Workforce Investment Act

Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant
The main form of financial aid at SPCC is the federally funded Pell Grant. The Pell Grant program is designed to provide assistance to U.S. citizens seeking to further their education at the collegiate level. Students who wish to be considered for financial assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There is no charge to complete this application; by doing so, the student will be considered for all types of federal and state financial aid. You can apply electronically from your home computer or from a computer at your public library or high school. The Web page address is www.fafsa.gov

One of the advantages of the Pell Grant is that, unlike a loan, the money awarded to the student does not have to be paid back. However, the award amount must be earned through regular class attendance. Please note: Students who withdraw before the 60 percent point of the semester are required to repay funds for which they are not eligible because of withdrawal.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant
This federal program offers grants to students who have exceptional financial need. Students must be continually enrolled at least half-time (6 hours).

Federal Work-Study Program
The College Work-Study program provides jobs for students who meet the eligibility requirements and wish to earn part of the cost of attending SPCC. Work-Study employment is available on-campus and off-campus on a part-time basis (maximum of 20 hours per week.) Wages are paid at the rate of $10.00 per hour. Students who are interested in college work-study jobs must complete a FAFSA and a SPCC Federal Work-Study Application for Employment http://www.spcc.edu/faculty-and-staff/jobs/ to be considered.
Some possible work-study employment opportunities include: Teacher's Administrative Assistant, Library Assistant, Computer Lab Technician, Student Services Assistant, and Community Service Job Opportunites.

back to top

North Carolina State Aid

North Carolina Community College Grant
Students must be North Carolina residents enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester in a specific curriculum program. Eligibility is determined based on the same criteria as the federal Pell Grant; students not eligible for the Pell Grant may be considered for the NCCC Grant based on their estimated family income as determined on the Student Aid Report. Applicants must complete a FAFSA form in order to be eligible for the grant.

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (ELS)
Applicants must be N.C. residents for tuition purposes, enroll in at least 6 credit hours per semester in a curriculum program, and make satisfactory academic progress. Eligibility is based on the same criteria as the federal Pell Grant, with one exception: students not eligible for Pell Grants with EFCs of 5,000 will qualify for ELS. Grants range from $100 to $2,500 per year.

North Carolina Community College Child Care Assistance
Child Care Assistance may be available to students who are single parents and have custody or joint custody of their children who are under the age of 6 and not enrolled in school. Child care providers must be licensed and regulated by the state of North Carolina. The student must also be enrolled for 8-seated class hours to be elgible. Students must complete to application to be considered for child care funds.

Less than Half-Time Funds (State Grant)
The State Board has appropriated funds for students who are enrolled less than half-time in certificate, diploma or associate degree programs. Students must complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA and have an EFC between 801 and 4,000, and be enrolled in less than 6 credit hours.

back to top


South Piedmont Community College does not participate in the William D. Ford Direct Loan program. Students are also welcome to apply for loans through a private lender, such as a bank or credit agency. However, the student is solely responsible for adhering to any terms and responsibilities under the loan agreement. SPCC has also partnered with NELNET Tuition Management to provide payment options for our students. Please see the Business Office for more information.

Nurse Education Scholarship Loan Program
The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority administers this program. It is available to Practical Nursing students who show financial need as shown by their Student Aid Report. Other factors, such as academic performance, are also taken under consideration. Awards range from $400 to $5,000 depending upon the student's demonstrated financial need, cost of attendance, other financial assistance, and the amount of funding available through the Nurse Education Scholarship Program.

SPCC Emergency Loan Fund
Students may borrow up to $150 to be repaid within 30 days of disbursement. Students must be in a specific curriculum program. Students must be in good academic and financial standing with the college and enrolled in the current semester they are requesting loan funds from. If refund checks have been disbursed to students, emergency loan funding will not be avaliable for the remainder of the term.

North Carolina AmeriCorps
This AmeriCorps program offers full and part-time opportunities for participants to provide service to their community. Monthly stipends and educational vouchers are available to full- and part-time members who successfully complete their terms of service (10 months to 1 year) in a one-year program. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S. and must be 17 years or older. Applicants must also have a high school diploma or GED.

back to top

Other Aid

Federal Tax Credits
For more information on these credits, please click on the following: Federal Tax Credits

Vocational Rehabilitation
Vocational Rehabilitation is available to certain students with mental, physical or emotional handicaps that limit their employment opportunities. For more information, contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office in the area, or write:
Department of Human Resources
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services
2001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2001

Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
The WIA program is intended to provide financial assistance to students who have recently become unemployed. WIA assistance may be provided for books, tuition, fees, child care, transportation and supplies. The duration of any individual WIA award is based on the availability of funds, as well as student satisfactory progress measures that may be imposed. For more information on the WIA program, see the contact information listed below.

Union County Joblink Center
1125 Skyway Drive
Monroe, NC 28110

Anson County Employment Security Commission
116 W. Wade St.
Wadesboro, NC 28170

back to top