What counseling services are available to me?

The college provides counseling services to help students succeed in their educational programs. Counselors can also help students with more personal problems that might affect their progress. Requests for these services can be made at the Student ServicesOffice or by e-mail.

What does it cost?

SPCC counseling services are available at no cost to the student or employee. However, students and employees are responsible for any costs associated with outside referrals.

NOTE: Personal counseling may be referred to local mental health facilities (at the student's expense) based on the intensity of the student's needs.

What if my problem involves illegal drug use?

The use and abuse of drugs and alcohol are subjects of immediate concern in our society. These problems are extremely complex and ones for which there are no easy solutions. From a safety perspective, the users and/or abusers of drugs or alcohol may impair the well being of all employees, students, and the public at large, and may result in damage to college property. Therefore, in compliance with the Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Regulations, it is the policy of SPCC that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance or alcohol is prohibited while in the workplace, on college premises, or as part of any college-sponsored activities. Any employee or student violating this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination or expulsion and referral for prosecution.

On the other hand, it is also obvious that the use of alcohol and illicit substances off-campus can have a severe impact on students' abilities to succeed in their educational goals. For that reason, counselors in the Student Services Department are trained to assess students' immediate intervention needs regarding alcohol and substance abuse. Arrangements can be made for rapid intervention through local recovery services, private support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, or referral for inpatient detoxification and recovery services, if needed. These services, in accordance with state and federal laws, are completely confidential.

For more information, contact one of our counselors:

Eric Skeen

Eric Skeen

Tracie Carpenter

Tracie Carpenter